Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I am: A Healing Poem

I am.
(Posted on December 9, 2008 by SLP)

In an authentic and genuine search for the self, this poetic journey takes us from the most primitive understanding of the self: your name(s), to the most profound understanding of the self: "I am everything and I am nothing."

Within the process of this poetic journey, all of the human potentialities that meet and fail to meet our personal and societal expectations and aspirations are tagged for contemplation:
"I am a mother without a child, yet I nurture."
"I am an artist without a canvas, yet I paint a picture."
"I am a doctor without a degree, yet I can heal with words and touch."

I am, is an exploration into the paradox of possibilities that make us and define us as 'the best' and 'the worst' of species:
"I am divine in nature and evil in intent."
"I am here because of you. I am here in spite of you."

I am, reinforces the need for ubuntu, the African circular philosophy of oneness:
"I am responsible for you and you are responsible for me.
We are nothing without each other."

I am, manages to plant the contradictory self firmly into the frailty of our daily lives ("I am...happy and sad, silly and serious.") and into our cosmic universal possibility ("It matters not where you are in time and space or whether we've ever met. We still have an influence on one another.").

This potent meditation on the self is not only healing but also cleansing and inspiring.
I am, affirms our spectacular and frail individuality, while reaffirming our divine and sacred potency.

It is our call to remember and observe who we think we are, who we are so far and who we are capable of being.

lloyd

No comments: